10 Ways To Move To The U.S. Legally And Live There

These are the visa and Green Card programs that let you live in the U.S. for a long time or for a short time.

There are more immigrants in the United States than in any other country in the world.

According to the Pew Research Center, more than 40 million people living in the U.S. were born in other countries. This is about one-fifth of all people who moved to the U.S. from somewhere else in the world.

Seventy-seven percent of immigrants have proof that they are allowed to stay in the U.S., such as visas, green cards, or becoming citizens. Almost a quarter are not allowed to be there.

It’s not easy to move to the United States legally, and it’s even harder to stay there permanently. Also, if you are looking for a stay in New York you need to look for the best immigration lawyer NYC.

These are the programs that let you live in the U.S. for a short time or for the rest of your life. Do any of them work for you?

1) Green Card obtained from a family member

This is how the vast majority of people who have a Green Card get it. In 2018, close relatives of U.S. citizens made up 44 percent of the total, with another 20 percent admitted on a limited basis.

To get it, you must file a Form I-130 with USCIS. People who don’t have a spouse and are under 21 or who are married to a U.S. citizen are eligible. Parents and siblings can also apply for visas, but they take longer to process because they are not as important (PERMANENT STAY).

2) Getting a Green Card through your job

It is given when a company or organization asks for it. People with exceptional skills in the sciences, arts, education, business, or sports are given more attention. As well as people who teach or do research.

The first step is for the employer to send the Department of Labor a labor certification or application (ETA-750). This is a test of the job market in the whole country. They decide if the job can be done by an American or someone who is already living in the country. If not, they go ahead and get rid of the alien.

In the second step, the employer sends USCIS Form I-140, which is called a “Petition for Alien Immigrant Worker.” Having an employer act as a financial sponsor is very important. This makes sure the worker can make a living wage in the U.S. and won’t need help from the government (PERMANENT STAY).

3) The Visa Lottery

The Diversity Visa Program was created in 1990 so that people from countries that haven’t sent many people to the United States in the past could come here.

The program is also called the “lottery” alltimesmagazine because the people who get a Green Card are chosen at random from the list of people who pre-registered and were eligible.

This is how 4% of all Green Cards are given out (PERMANENT STAY).

4) H2-B Visa: Cleaning, construction, and landscaping

Through the H-2B visa program, U.S.-based companies can hire foreign workers for temporary jobs that are not in agriculture.

It was made for people who want to work but don’t need a college degree or a professional license.

With this visa, you can work in jobs like landscaping, building, cleaning, and running a hotel. Also in forestry, as a waiter, in a factory, taking care of animals, and other jobs.

The U.S. government only gives out a certain number of H-2B visas each fiscal year. Last time, Congress set a limit of 66,000 visas. Later, approval was given for 22,000 more (temporary stay).

5) H2-A Agricultural Worker Visa. Thanks to moviesverse the H-2A visa program, Mexicans can temporarily work in the United States as agricultural workers. It lets U.S. businesses hire foreign workers during planting and harvesting seasons if they can show that there aren’t enough or well-trained Americans to do the work.

Foreigners can work in fields or greenhouses where crops are grown. With this visa, you can stay in the U.S. for a maximum of three years, but the permit can be renewed if the employer needs the worker in other seasons (temporary stay).

6) H-1B Visa: Specialty Workers H-1B visas are granted to employers who require highly skilled foreign workers.

Those who want to apply must have a lot of theoretical or practical knowledge in fields like science, engineering, or programming. USCIS says that the worker must have a bachelor’s degree or higher from a university that is recognized by the government.

The number of H-1B visas is limited by the government (temporary stay).

7) TN Visa: Mexican business people

The United States has a special visa for temporary workers from Mexico and Canada who are doing work covered by the free trade agreement between the three countries.

People with certain jobs, like engineers, teachers, lawyers, accountants, scientists, and others, can get this visa, which is called TN. Mexicans need to go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Mexico to get a TN visa.

People with this type of visa can stay in the U.S. for up to three years for the first time. Those who want to stay longer will have to fill out Form I-129 to request an extension. (TEMPORARY STAY).

8) Fiancé Visa

The K1 visa, also called the “fiancé visa,” is for foreigners who “intend to marry U.S. citizens in the United States and then want to become lawful permanent residents without having to leave the country.”

The document gives the foreign nationals 90 days to travel, get married, and start the process with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to become permanent residents (temporary stay with the option of permanent residency). (temporary stay with the option to stay forever).

9) Investors Visa

In 2018, 13% of new residents were sponsored by their employers or the EB-5 visa because they invested money in the United States.

If you invest $1.8 million in a city or $900,000 in a rural area, you can get permanent residency and then citizenship. Americans must get jobs from the investment. (PERMANENT STAY).

10) Naturalization as a means of becoming a citizen

A foreigner can become a U.S. citizen through a process called “naturalization.” The Immigration and Nationality Act says that the person who wants it must meet certain requirements.

Those who have lived in the country for at least 5 years as permanent residents are eligible. Also, people who have lived in the U.S. for three years and are married to a U.S. citizen.

The process of becoming a citizen is not easy, but the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has made a 10-step guide to make it more organized and clear (PERMANENT STAY).


Any Citizen to settle in the new city is easy when you can plan to process your naturalization and organize. Initial days will be a hassle when you do not have your stay fixed. Until then there are short term luggage storage services available at all major landmarks, transits, train stations, airports, etc. You can Leave your bags and luggage at luggage storage nyc safely and explore the new city.

Leave a Reply

Back to top button